nagios upgrade

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Apr 22 22:49:11 CEST 2009

2009/4/22 Anirudh Srinivasan <srianirudh at gmail.com>:
> Hi Folks,
> The previous guy installed nagios using nagios-2.9 RPM and right now i am
> handling the nagios .The following was the nagios directory structure:
> configuration file     /etc/nagios
> nagios binary         /usr/bin/nagios
> log files                 /var/log/nagios
> externel command directory           /var/log/nagios/rw
> html files               /usr/share/nagios
> cgi files                 /usr/lib/nagios/cgi
> plugins                  /usr/lib/nagios/plugins
> Now we are going to upgrade the nagios to 3.0.6
>
> so my configure script should be as following right?
> ./configure --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/lib/nagios/cgi
> --libexecdir=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins --datadir=/usr/share/nagios
> --sysconfdir=/etc/nagios --localstatedir=/var/log/nagios
> --with-command-group=nagiocmd
> Is the above thing correct ?? . Please suggest guys. Any thing else to be
> added?? or is this correct.

It might be a little more work now, but my advice is do a standard
Nagios 3 install (mostly it goes under /usr/local/nagios) then copy
your Nagios 2 configs in to it.

Running Nagios in the non-standard locations used in some rpms and
other repositiories can make installing various add-ons for Nagios a
real head-ache.

You may need to be a bit careful about how the Nagios install updates
anything which is likely to be common to both, for example the apache
configs and /etc/init.d scripts.  (take a good backup).

When I recently upgraded from 2.6 to 3, I installed 3 on a new server
altogether and migrated the monitoring over bit by bit.  It took a
while, but I wanted to make sure I undid all the mistakes I'd made
when I was learning Nagios on 2.6 (yes I had installed from rpms too).

hth,

Jim