check_snmp output

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Apr 22 16:08:44 CEST 2009

On Apr 22, 2009, at 8:46 AM, shadih rahman wrote:

> All,
>    I want to show the result of check_snmp in a certain way.  For
> example if I am doing a "nominal current" check on Liebert ups, the
> snmp query will return 506 as result.  However this actauly means
> 50.6 amp.  Is there any way to control the output on check_snmp
> plugin.  I am aware of the "-u" option but I am not sure if I can
> use this to achieve the desired result I am looking for.  Thanks

There's no facility for munging the response data received via SNMP
since it can be quite variable, ranging from numeric data to ip
addresses to string data and many others. You can add a label (-l)
(i.e. -l 'Amperage is' results in 'Amperage is OK- 506') and/or units
(-u) (i.e. '-u amp' results in 'OK - 506 amp').

You could create a simple wrapper script that runs check_snmp, grabs
it's output and return code, munges the output, and returns both back
to nagios as the plugin would.