Untraceable service by-email notification

Kyle Tucker kylet at panix.com
Mon Apr 20 17:27:50 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I have defined a custom service notification command that I am using to
send alerts to CA Spectrum. That part is working, but for every alert I
send, I am also getting a corresponding service notification by email to
the nagiosadmins contact group despite my service having an inherited
contacts statement. I have spent hours trying to track this down and
just can't resolve it. I am sure it's being inherited from somewhere,
but I can't see it. Can anyone tell me why the notify-service-by-email
command is being called? Thanks.

- Kyle

Here is the service.

define service{
    use 				spectrum-sbgw-service
    host_name 				bt-lin-datactr3
    max_check_attempts 			1
    service_description 		check-sbgw-test
    check_command 			check_sbgw
}

Here is the service template and contact.

define service{
    name spectrum-sbgw-service ; Spectrum Southbound Gateway
    contacts 				spectrum-sbgw
    check_period 			24x7
    max_check_attempts 			3
    normal_check_interval 		10
    retry_check_interval 		1
    register 				1
}

define contact{
    contact_name 			spectrum-sbgw
    service_notification_commands 	notify-service-by-spectrum
    service_notification_options 	w,u,c,r,f,s
    service_notification_period 	24x7
    host_notification_commands 		notify-host-by-email
    host_notification_options 		d,u,r,f,s
    host_notification_period 		24x7
    register 				1
}

The command.
# 'notify-service-by-spectrum' command definition
define command{
    command_name notify-service-by-spectrum
    command_line /usr/bin/sudo -u spectrum /usr/local/scripts/spectrum-sbgw $HOSTNAME$ $HOSTADDRESS$ $SERVICEDESC$ $SERVICESTATE$ "$SERVICEOUTPUT$"
}

And here is the action logged.

Mon Apr 20 10:52:31 2009 SERVICE ALERT: bt-lin-datactr3;check-sbgw-test;CRITICAL;HARD;1;CRIT: Test failed with CRIT
Mon Apr 20 10:52:31 2009 SERVICE NOTIFICATION: nagiosadmin;bt-lin-datactr3;check-sbgw-test;CRITICAL;notify-service-by-email;CRIT: Test failed with CRIT
Mon Apr 20 10:52:31 2009 SERVICE NOTIFICATION: spectrum-sbgw;bt-lin-datactr3;check-sbgw-test;CRITICAL;notify-service-by-spectrum;CRIT: Test failed with CRIT

--
- Kyle
kylet at panix.com   http://www.panix.com/~kylet