concurrent users on a website

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Apr 20 13:59:47 CEST 2009

Harry John wrote:
> Hi
> How do we check concurrent users in a website?

HTTP is a stateless protocol. There is no such thing as an exact count of
concurrent users on a website. All sites that claim to track such thing
do some sort of estimation. Usually based on how many users have been
active within the last 5 minutes or some such. Depending on the software
running on the site, this is determined in different ways. Usually it
happens by running a query such as this against some sql database:

  select count(id) from users where last_active > $now - 300

where the 'last_active' column is always updated when a user clicks on
anything on the site and $now is a variable representing the current
timestamp as given in seconds since the unix epoch.

> Is this possibble in nagios friends?

Yes, but not with a standard plugin. See my response above and you should
have a pretty decent idea of how to implement such a plugin yourself.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.