New to Nagios -- simple problem with data from nrpe

Brian O'Mahony brian.omahony at curamsoftware.com
Fri Apr 17 17:39:42 CEST 2009

There seems to be a lot of documentation on Nagios all over the web. I must say im impressed with it, even though im still installing it.

Basically I have the server set up and monitoring itself, and I have one remote machine, which I have set up 6 tests on just for testing. I have the nagios plugins and nrpe installed and everything is working in that regard. If I run the check_nrpe command with any of the base remote commands in the /etc/nagios/nrpe.cfg file, I get the output to my screen.
[nagios at mido ~]$ /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H 172.16.165.248 -c check_root_disk
DISK OK - free space: / 4460 MB (95% inode=98%);| /=208MB;4898;4908;0;4918
(IP is the remote machine)

However when these tests are added to server.cfg files, I get Status==UNKNOWN and Status Information=(No output returned from plugin)

I reckon its something simple that ive missed, but ive gotten a bit lost looking for it.

Server:
Rhel5.1
Nagios-3.0.6 installed from source
Plugins 1.4.13-4 from rpm