parsing log files on remote hosts

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Apr 17 17:15:58 CEST 2009

On Apr 17, 2009, at 9:35 AM, kaouther mechri wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am seraching a way to parse some  application log files on remote
> hosts and grep for specific words, I need to add this as a nagios
> check.

You've seen answers on how to handle the remote communication. As far
as the log parsing, you're not the first to want to do that. check_log
is included in the standard plugins and there are others I am aware of
that can be found by searching Nagios Exchange or the web.

# Usage: ./check_log <log_file> <old_log_file> <pattern>
#
#
# This plugin will scan a log file (specified by the <log_file> option)
# for a specific pattern (specified by the <pattern> option).
Successive
# calls to the plugin script will only report *new* pattern matches in
the
# log file, since an copy of the log file from the previous run is saved
# to <old_log_file>.

--
Marc