problem with check_yum

Seth Simmons ssimmons at cymfony.com
Thu Apr 16 01:14:55 CEST 2009

I think I found the problem.  When I ran check_yum locally I forgot it was running as root which explains why it worked.  Running locally as nagios caused the error.  Apparently it isn't the plugin.  If, as nagios, I run yum check-update it tells me I need to be root to access RHN repositories.  Seems CentOS doesn't have that requirement with yum, which explains why it works on all of those systems.

Running check_yum as nagios locally with sudo (nagios ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_yum) for that one binary works.

Problem now is, using the plugin with sudo through nrpe.  When I try to run through nrpe it returns "unable to read output".

This is the command:
command[check_yum_rhn]=/usr/bin/sudo /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_yum

been looking around and some have had the same problem; often fixed by adding the complete path to sudo, but it isn't working here.