Still some basic 101 items

Lance Raymond lraymond at weatherflow.com
Wed Apr 15 05:18:42 CEST 2009

I'm not sure I should say sorry for the basic questions as this is what the
group is for, but seeing some of the in depth questions... talk about an
inferiority complex.   Well, I now can see how to debug the start (thanks
Marc) and figured my one problem.  But back to a basic few things.  I am
looking to have nagios monitor 40 or so servers.  10 or so webservers, a few
database, all have ssh, etc. so as I am trying to lay this out in my head,
for an example, is this the right thinking.

Each box has an unique name in a server folder, /server/servername.cfg
(that is what I have started and kind of working).
The webservers will have the following;
the define host {
host_name
address
use (I think this is my problem)
}

Now the above, the use I think is the actual hostgroup I wish it to belong
to (ex, webserver, linux-server, etc.)  I am thinking I will have group
temapltes, webserver will have an http test, linux-server can have an ssh
check, load, users, etc. Now if the above is making sense, the use will have
multiple, ex,
use   webserver, linux-server    (I assume this is possible)  That would
take care of defining the default services to check for those particular
box's.

I guess I am looking for both confirmation and suggestions on some high
level down setups.  I don't want each host having 10 define_service items.
I would rather say he is a webserver, and linux box.  That by nature will
check x, y and z.  The problem so far is I have 4 servers, and even though I
have an address in each, the use is still the default so ALL the box's
details, users, swap usage, etc. is referenceing the localhost and not that
individual box.

That is where I am stuck, the doc's are really not to helpful, but I am
trying to understand more the seperate files.  How the use works, when to
use a hostgroup, etc.  I will gladly provide cfg files or if someone has
some basic things (aside from the install templates) or some help on the
above it's appreciated.

Lr