check_snmp memory leak

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Mon Apr 13 01:26:36 CEST 2009

You could have also just disabled the embedded perl interpreter in the
plugin itself.  By disabling the embedded perl function, your load  and
memory usage will certainly be higher.

The real question, though, is since you're using Cent OS, why not use the
Nagios RPM's available via yum repository?  It makes upgrading and keeping
track of dependencies a breeze.

Not sure what the problem was, but I compiled Nagios 3.0.6 on a RHEL 3
system using the exact options that were found in the RPM spec file.  I
ended up with a nagios binary that was twice as large as the one that came
in the RPM package and the version I compiled myself ran using more memory
and processor resources than the RPM version.  The difference was probably
the compiler flags I was using were not optimized for my (or any RHEL)
system.

Nine times out of ten, using yum rpm's will ultimately end up yielding
better results when factoring in system performce, upgrades, etc - and save
tons of time and headaches.  That's why you're using RHEL, right?  Yes, I
still have to make RPM's via compilation of source RPM's when the yum
repository version doesn't include the feature's I need.  For example, I
have to roll my own Postfix because I need mysql support.

James Moseley

             Mark Krenz
             <mark at suso.org>
             04/12/2009 09:20          nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Nagios-users] check_snmp
                                       memory leak

Nevermind, figured it out.  I just tried recompiling without the
--enable-embedded-perl option and that seems to have fixed it. Now the
memory usage is staying at just a couple MB.

Not sure why check_snmp was the only check that seemed to aggravate it
though.