APC UPS Monitoring Setup.

David A. ti1ion2005 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 20:52:54 CEST 2009

Hello,

I have been searching for help in setting up SNMP monitoring of an APC UPS.
I found a plug-in called check_snmp_apcups and have been trying to configure
it -- with no success.  I am using nagios 3.0.6 and plugins 1.4.13

I placed check_snmp_apcups into the libexec folder and ran it from the
command line.  It worked well, giving me UPS information.  However, I cannot
figure out what to do to make it work in the web interface.

The latest instructions I found (and followed) were from the wiki:
http://community.nagios.org/wiki/index.php/Howtos:snmp-apc-smart-ups

Now, these instructions refer to the check_snmp command, but this did not
work from the command line for me.  It got no response from the UPS.  So, I
changed the command to check_snmp_apcups.  I added the command definitions
to the command.cfg file and then created a ups.cfg file with the following:

#### HOST ####
define host{
        use                     generic-host
        host_name               apc-smart-ups
        alias                   apc-smart-ups
        address                 192.168.1.10
        hostgroups              ups
        }

#### HOST GROUP ####
define hostgroup{
        hostgoup_name           ups
        alias                   ups
        }

#### SERVICES ####
define service{
        host_name                       apc-smart-ups
        service_description             Environment-Temperature
        check_command                   snmp_ups_envtemp!nagmon
        }

define service{
        host_name                       apc-smart-ups
        service_description             Battery-Status
        check_command                   snmp_ups_stat!nagmon
        }

define service{
        host_name                       apc-smart-ups
        service_description             Battery-Status
        check_command                   snmp_ups_capa!nagmon
        }

define service{
        host_name                       apc-smart-ups
        service_description             Battery-Status
        check_command                   snmp_ups_freq!nagmon
        }

define service{
        host_name                       apc-smart-ups
        service_description             Battery-Status
        check_command                   snmp_ups_volt!nagmon
        }

define service{
        host_name                       apc-smart-ups
        service_description             Battery-Status
        check_command                   snmp_ups_current!nagmon
        }

define service{
        host_name                       apc-smart-ups
        service_description             Battery-Status
        check_command                   snmp_ups_load!nagmon
        }

I then modified the nagios.cfg file to point to to the ups.cfg file.  Next,
I ran the verification command and received a warning of NULL value in the
line that points to my ups.cfg file.  I don't know what is wrong with it, or
what I am missing.

Could anyone give me some pointers as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.