check_snmp memory leak

Mark Krenz mark at suso.org
Sun Apr 12 11:21:03 CEST 2009

  I've run into some kind of memory leak in Nagios.  After removing
checks and services to narrow it down, I've determined that its the
check_snmp command that is leaking memory.  With 33 hosts and almost
each one having 1 check that uses check_snmp in it, it leaks about 1MB
every couple checks.  It only takes a day for it to get to the point
where nagiops is using 200-300MB of RAM.  I'd say that's pretty bad.

Anyways, I've tried recompiling nagios and the nagios plugins and I've
upgraded all the packages on my system to make sure it wasn't something
there and then recompiled again.  Any ideas as to what this might be?

Here are my system specs for the nagios server:

System type: Xen virtual machine.
Architecture: x86_64
Physical memory: 512MB
gcc ver: gcc-4.1.2-44.el5

Nagios ver: 3.0.6
Nagios Configure settings:
   configure --with-command-group=nagcmd --enable-embedded-perl

Nagios plugins ver: 1.4.13
Nagios Plugins Configure settings:
   configure --with-nagios-user=nagios --with-nagios-group=nagios --with-mysql

I actually have another machine that I was running Nagios on recently
where I don't have this problem.  It has the same setup except its RHEL
5.2.