Centreon

Simon Finch finchs at stgeorge.com.au
Fri Apr 10 06:51:48 CEST 2009

Chris,

Centreon is a very powerful addition to Nagios, so good that I have managed to replace a large enterprise deployment of IBM Tivoli monitoring with Nagios, but only by using Centreon, Nagios by itself wouldn't have stood a chance.

I started using it from version 2.0 beta 4 and the doco was terrible or non existent. I am currently using version 2.1 and the doco is still non existent, but the wiki / forum support more than makes up for it. If you compiled Nagios, nrpe, ndo and got it all working then you could easily get Centreon working.

I work in IT for a moderately large bank in Australia who has recently been taken over by a larger bank. The new IT top dog is an American who used to run IT for a huge US aircraft manufacturer, he was impressed by what he saw in our NOC / war room. It was Nagios3 front ended by Centreon with management eye candy provided by NagVis, so I truly believe it when I say it's worth the effort because I am in the middle of doing it.

If you want more details the feel free to ask as I found a number of traps in the beginning, eg, I don't recommend Redhat RHEL5 for the main server that runs Centreon, I switched to Ubuntu 8.04 , but I still use Redhat RHEL4 & 5 for the remote satellite Nagios servers.

Rgds,
Simon

Simon Finch
ESM Team Leader
St George Bank

*****   IMPORTANT INFORMATION    *****
This document should be read only by those persons to whom it is
addressed and its content is not intended for use by any other
persons.  If you have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately.  Please also destroy and delete the message from
your computer.  Any unauthorised form of reproduction of this message
is strictly prohibited.

St George Bank Limited AFSL 240997, Advance Asset Management Limited
AFSL 240902,  St George Life Limited AFSL 240900, ASGARD Capital Management Limited
AFSL 240695 and Securitor Financial Group Limited AFSL 240687 is not liable for
the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in
this communication, nor for any delay in its receipt.