Excluding a hostgroup from a service check

Edward Trochim ejtrochim at alaska.edu
Thu Apr 9 18:58:48 CEST 2009

I have a service template that specifies several host groups and one
host to check. One of the services that inherits this template should
not be executed by one of the host groups defined. I read the object
tricks documentation page and found that I could include a ! before
the name in a hostgroup_name definition in the service definition to
exclude that hostgroup from that service. However, when I do that
nagios excludes all hostgroups from the list from running that service.

That explanation of the problem might be a little thick so here is an
abbreviated example.

I have a service template like this:

define service{
         name				standard-check
         use					generic-service
         hostgroup_name		hostgroup1, hostgroup2, hostgroup3,\
						hostgroup4, hostgroup5, hostgroup6,\
						hostgroup7
         host_name			host1
         servicegroups		standard_checks
         register				0
}

And a service definition like this. I want to exclude hostgroup5 from
this one service definition:

define service{
         use					standard-check
         hostgroup_name		!hostgroup5
         service_description	Disk Space
}

Instead of doing what I want this excludes every hostgroup defined in
the template. host1 still gets the service though.

I am currently running nagios version 3.0.6.

Is this a bug in nagios or am I misunderstanding the way this should
behave?