nagios upgrade

Randal, Phil prandal at herefordshire.gov.uk
Thu Apr 9 15:49:02 CEST 2009

Is there any way you can clone your nagios box to a VM and test on the
cloned box?

I've just done that here testing for a planned 2.12 to 3.0.6 upgrade.

You'll need to edit your nagios.cfg file to remove one obsolete option,
and there are a few new options to merge in from the example nagios.cfg.

I tested the worst-possible migration case - from self-compiled 2.12 to
RPMForge-packaged 3.0.6 RPM.

It was fun dealing with all the default directory changes, but not
impossible.

If you're compiling from source for both versions it should be a fairly
painless migration.

The side.html file is, as far as I remember, the same in both versions,
so I think you can keep your old one and copy over the newly installed
3.0.6 version.

My word, of course, is not gospel (and rarely is), so I'd advise you to
test, test, and test again if you can.

The directories which change depend on your config - a look at the paths
specified in your nagios.cfg etc will point yopu in the right direction.
(your logs might be in /var/log/nagios/, for example).

Cheers,

Phil
--
Phil Randal | Networks Engineer
Herefordshire Council | Deputy Chief Executive's Office | I.C.T.
email: prandal at herefordshire.gov.uk

Any opinion expressed in this e-mail or any attached files are those of
the individual and not necessarily those of Herefordshire Council.

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely
for the use of the addressee. This communication may contain material
protected by law from being passed on. If you are not the intended
recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are advised that
any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please
contact the sender immediately and destroy all copies of it.