Nagios and Cacti

Christopher McAtackney cristoir at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 13:48:31 CEST 2009

> With parallel checks in Nagios 3 and some configuration tuning and
> well-written SNMP checks, I'd argue that Nagios is as good if not a
> better poller than cactid :).   our instance is not huge, but
> currently we do 7000+ SNMP-based checks in 3 minutes on a dual
> quad-core Linux-based server.
>
> Before PNP I used to use Cacti and Nagios.  I like Cacti, but with PNP
> around I would never go back to that combination again .. Nagios + PNP
> really does simplify life for Nagios administrators and provides a lot
> of flexibility as far as how you scale your graphing as your node base
> grows.
>
> - Max

Hi Max,

Do you all of your SNMP management manually? I'm still learning a lot
about SNMP, and was under the impression that Cacti took a lot of the
pain out of SNMP management, but I'd be interested in hearing how you
administer it in your system just using Nagios + PNP4Nagios if you
don't mind?

Cheers,
Chris