Monitor netstat connection states using nagios.

asam30 at gmail.com asam30 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 13:06:30 CEST 2009

These are the steps I did,
on nagios server under libexec, created check_netstat file and that contains

STATE_OK=0
STATE_WARNING=1
STATE_CRITICAL=2
STATE_UNKNOWN=3

netstat  -anp  | grep 80 > synport
err=`cat synport | grep  TIME | wc  -l |awk '{print $1}'`
if [ $err -gt 0 ]
then
echo "WARNING - STATUS= TIME_WAIT port status on $HOSTNAME | "WARNING -
STATUS=TIME_WAIT port status on $HOSTNAME
exit $STATE_CRITICAL
else
echo "OK - The port is up and running no TIME_WAIT established"
exit $STATE_OK
fi

The same file copied to the nagios client where I am trying to monitor this.
And on the nagios server i went to commands.cfg and added one commadn,

define command{
        command_name    check_netstat
        command_line    $USER1$/check_netstat -H $HOSTADDRESS$
        }
then on the nagios server, i am executeing

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_netstat -H 172.16.17.18
this scripts runs locally and find the nagios servers apache port status not
the monitored servers apache port. how would configure so that it should go
to nagios client and get those port TIME_WAIT status.

thanks

--
Shankar Asam