Monitor netstat connection states using nagios.

Thu Apr 9 11:02:03 CEST 2009

asam30 at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am using check_tcp to check status of a particular port on the
> server. This is working good. I would also need to monitor LISTEN
> status (SYN_RECV) of that port. for ex,
>
> I have a ldap service running on port 3890, so the command
>
> netstat  -anp  | grep 3890
>
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:3890 <http://0.0.0.0:3890/>
>    0.0.0.0:*                           LISTEN
> 16029/java
> tcp        0      0 10.121.30.121:3890
> <http://10.121.30.121:3890/>          10.121.6.1:8831
> <http://10.121.6.1:8831/>                ESTABLISHED 16029/java
> tcp        0      0 10.121.30.121:3890
> <http://10.121.30.121:3890/>          10.121.6.1:61052
> <http://10.121.6.1:61052/>              ESTABLISHED 16029/java
> tcp      228      0 10.121.30.121:3890
> <http://10.121.30.121:3890/>          10.121.6.1:49440
> <http://10.121.6.1:49440/>             ESTABLISHED 16029/java
> tcp        0      0 10.121.30.121:3890
> <http://10.121.30.121:3890/>          10.121.6.1:11664
> <http://10.121.6.1:11664/>               SYN_RECV    16029/java
>
> The establish connections are ok to allow, but we need to monitor
> SYN_RECV status. If there is any such(SYN_RECV) connection appears, we
> immediately get an alert from nagios. Is there any way to monitor such
> states with nagios or check_tcp?
>
> I have written some shell script to monitor such events, but also I
> would like to integrate that scripts into nagios? Is that possible?
>
> Please help me or provide some suggestions
You can integrate almost any shell script you want into Nagios. All you
need to do is implement the Nagios plugin specification, which is fairly
trivial to do for most scripts. Return 0, 1 or 2 (OK, warn or critical)
to as exit code, and return the actual result data via stdout in a
single line. The details are in the Nagios documentation.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.