Service Dependency

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Apr 9 10:53:11 CEST 2009

Nair wrote:
> Friends,
> I need to define mutal dependancy between two web services in different hosts.

Why? If the two services *really* depend on each other, there's no way
to start either, since it wouldn't function without the other one
running.

> PLease see the config below which end up throwing error:
> -----------------------
> Error: A circular execution dependency (which could result in a deadlock) exists for service 'www' on host 'host2'!
> -----------------------
> # Service Dependency Definition for cfservd
> define servicedependency{
> host_name            host1
> service_description       www
> dependent_host_name     host2
> dependent_service_description   www
> execution_failure_criteria    o
> notification_failure_criteria  c,p
> }
>
> define servicedependency{
> host_name            host2
> service_description        www
> dependent_host_name       host1
> dependent_service_description  www
> execution_failure_criteria    o
> notification_failure_criteria  c,p
> }

This sort of dependency would mean that as soon as both of those
services go OK at the same time, they would never be checked again,
ever.

> Please share your thoughts for getting the config right.

I'm guessing this is a failover solution so that either of the two
has to work for the check to return ok. If so, just check the web
service through whatever IP your users access this. If you aren't
running IP takeover (or some other "same-IP" thing), write a wrapper
for check_http which checks both hosts at once and only returns
critical if both services are non-ok.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.