Adaptive Monitoring: Broken?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Apr 8 16:55:48 CEST 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 1:26 PM, Patrick Morris wrote:

> Here are the important stats:
>
> Nagios Version: Version 3.1.0
> Proficiency Level: Pretty damned high

> While the first command works fine, and sets the service to an OK
> state,
> the next two (which I've tried in various combinations) show up in the
> Nagios logs as having been sent, but do nothing. The check that
> appears
> in the config files keeps running instead of my check_ok check.
>
> Here's how it shows up in the logs:
>
> [1239128528] EXTERNAL COMMAND: CHANGE_SVC_EVENT_HANDLER;dummy-
> host;DNS;check_ok
> [1239128528] EXTERNAL COMMAND: CHANGE_SVC_CHECK_COMMAND;dummy-
> host;DNS;check_ok
>
> I've noticed the message is different if I use an invalid command, so
> I'm relatively sure I'm using the right ones; they just don't do
> anything.
>
> Event handlers are enabled for these services, but even if they
> weren't
> the check command should change, right?
>
> Am I doing something wrong here, or have I run into a bug?

I'm not using 3.x yet but just to provide some feedback, what you're
doing looks reasonable from my reading of the documentation. I do see
this in 3.1.0's commands.c though --

         /* SECURITY PATCH - disable these for the time being */
         switch(cmd){
         case CMD_CHANGE_GLOBAL_HOST_EVENT_HANDLER:
         case CMD_CHANGE_GLOBAL_SVC_EVENT_HANDLER:
         case CMD_CHANGE_HOST_EVENT_HANDLER:
         case CMD_CHANGE_SVC_EVENT_HANDLER:
         case CMD_CHANGE_HOST_CHECK_COMMAND:
         case CMD_CHANGE_SVC_CHECK_COMMAND:
                 return ERROR;
                 }

That's in the right section and my reading of the code is that it does
exactly that; prevent changing of those values... Maybe it's something
being worked on in the development branch?

--
Marc