Distribuated Help

Sean McAfee smcafee at collaborativefusion.com
Tue Apr 7 22:43:36 CEST 2009

Christopher Burke wrote:
> I need an answer that I haven’t been able to find in any docs or web
> searches.
>

> I want to set up a distributed monitoring scenario using NSCA, but I
> need to know if the Client will buffer checks when the connection is
> lost to the central server, and then send them when the connection is
> restored.
>

> Basically I want to continue to monitor a sites hosts even if the WAN
> goes down so I have information during that timeperiod.
>

> Thank you
>

> Christopher

I honestly don't know if it will buffer and resend, but at the very
least, the individual processes will sit there waiting to timeout, which
dramatically increases your check latency since Nagios has a max process
limit.  I have a setup where the distributed instances can "self
promote" if they lose touch with the master, and the timeout issues made
it completely unreliable because of the increased resolution.

Look into OCP Daemon
(http://www.nagiosexchange.org/cgi-bin/page.cgi?g=Detailed%2F2521.html;d=1)
- it solved my problem.

--