Children "unreachable" on soft down?

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Mon Apr 6 20:55:33 CEST 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 9:03 AM, Giorgio Zarrelli wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've not quite clear what happens to you,

Thanks for the response. For clarification, the exact sequence of
events is as follows:

1) The link between the nagios box and one of our routers, which we
will refer to as the parent host glitches for 30 seconds or so. Due to
the nature of the link (satellite connection) this is semi-expected,
and happens a couple of times a day.

2) Nagios catches this glitch in one of it's regularly scheduled host
checks, and puts the parent host into a soft down state. Again, normal
and expected - even good.

3) At the same time, Nagios puts the children of the parent host into
an "unreachable" state. Makes sense, at least, but leads to the issue

4) The parent host is now in recheck mode (as it is only in a soft
down state and has three rechecks set), so it checks again a minute
later. This check succeeds, as the outage was transitory. The parent
host is put back into an "UP" state. As it never was in a hard "down"
state, no notification is sent. This is good.

5) since the parent is now up, the child host now is changed to a
(soft I think) "down" state.

6) check continue on a normal schedule. As the link does not glitch
again for several hours, parent remains up and child remains
(correctly) down. Three checks later, child enters a hard "down" state
(since it was unreachable and only just switched back to down). Down
notification is sent for child.

7) Everything remains good for the next several hours until the link
glitches again. Repeat from step one.

The notification in step 6 is the problem here - the child host was
down before the glitch, the child host is still down after. But
because the child host was temporarily put in an unreachable state, we
get notified again that it is down, resulting in a string of "DOWN"
messages with no up or real change in status.

> but one thing I have in mind is try
>
> soft_state_dependencies=0
>
> Besides that, the problems seems to be in the roots of the check.
> It's not
> healty to have a ping check failing every 2 strikes. Try to change
> the host
> alive check, using a ssh check instead.

The check is not failing every 2 strikes. It's failing once, briefly,
every few hours - just barely long enough to make one check fail and
throw the parent host into a soft down state. The first recheck (one
minute later) works fine, bringing the parent back to an up state. The
next several hundred or more checks also work fine (as the problem was
transitory and brief). For this reason, changing the check wouldn't
help - for the duration of that single check, the host really is down
(or more precisely, unreachable, as it is a link issue), and any check
I used would say so.

> Another approach, not so useful, would be to increase the timeout
> for the ping
> (-W) so it will have less chances to fail.

except that it's not a timeout issue. It is a very real, albeit brief
(around 30 seconds or so), outage. Not long enough or frequent enough
to really impact productivity or anything, but long enough for nagios
to catch it (for a single check).

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician II
Frontier Flying Service Inc.