NRPE Issue

Steve Shepherd stevenshepherd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 22:25:42 CEST 2009

I'm trying to configure a service check via NRPE and having some difficulty.

>From the monitoring server, I can successfully execute NRPE via CLI:

[root at mon01 etc]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H 10.140.122.51 -c
check_prov
FILE_AGE OK: /var/log/prov.log is 4 seconds old and 8033817 bytes

All my hosts are in /usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts, with service_checks defined
in them.  I defined this NRPE check as:

define service{
        host_name                       servername.serverdomain
        service_description             check_prov
        is_volatile            0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           3
        retry_check_interval            1
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command               check_nrpe!check_prov
}

within nagios.cfg, I have a commands.cfg file defined:

cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/objects/commands.cfg

within commands.cfg:

# 'check_ccprov' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check_prov
        command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS -c check_prov
        }

Nagios is giving me an error:

Checking services...
Error: Service check command 'check_nrpe' specified in service
'check_ccprov' for host 'servername.serverdomain' not defined anywhere!

But it is defined?!  From the documentation the check_command should be
"check_nrpe!$service" within service definition?

Thanks!