unable to use check_http with oracle application server

Alex Alexiou AAlexiou at targetsite.com
Thu Apr 2 15:28:47 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

I've been using the check_http plugin to scan websites hosted by Oracle
Application Server. We recently changed OAS to use port 443 and SSLv3
only, and now check_http can't check the site. The plugin returns this:

CRITICAL - Cannot make SSL connection

GET / HTTP/1.0

Error on receive

On OAS, the error logs show this:

[Thu Apr  2 09:20:07 2009] [error] mod_ossl: SSL call to NZ function
nzos_Handshake failed with error 28858

[Thu Apr  2 09:20:07 2009] [error] mod_ossl: SSL protocol error [Hint:
the client probably speaks HTTPS over HTTP protocol]

I'm talking to Oracle about it right now, but they're not sure what's
going on here. I haven't had any problems with the plugin until now, so
I think it's really on their end, but have any of you ever seen this
before?