nagios on call schedule w/ escalations?

Charlie Reddington charlie.reddington at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 23:22:16 CEST 2008

Hi guys / gals,

I am working on the final stages of my nagios setup, but I'm entering
territory which I haven't been before and can use some guidance.

Here's what I'm trying to achieve. We have a team of 3 admins, where
we rotate weeks who is on call. Of course, they aren't every other 3rd
week , because of people having vacation time, etc. So some weeks
people are on call for 2 weeks, or every 2 weeks, etc.

What we'd like is, to have a schedule setup where the primary guy gets
woken up first. But if he doesn't answer his call after an hour, it
drops down to the rest of us admins. No matter if your just at home
sleeping, or if your on vacation, you get pinged. After that it goes
up to our manager.

I can figure out the setting of people's initial schedule, as I have
it looking something like this....

# contacts

define contact{
         contact_name                    user1
         use                             generic-contact
         alias                           user1
         email                           user1
         host_notification_period        user1_oncall
         service_notfication_period      user1_oncall
         }

define contact{
         contact_name                    user2
         use                             generic-contact
         alias                           user2
         email                           user2
         host_notification_period        user2_oncall
         service_notfication_period     user2_oncall
         }

define contact{
         contact_name                    user3
         use                             generic-contact
         alias                           user3
         email                           user3
         host_notification_period        user3_oncall
         service_notfication_period    user3_oncall
         }
define contact{
	contact_name		manager1
	use					generic-contact
	email				manager1
	}

# groiups

define contactgroup{
	contact_groupname admins
	members user1,user2,user3
}
define contactgroup{
	contact_groupname managers
	members manager1
}

# Time periods

define timeperiod{
         timeperiod_name user1_oncall
         Sept 29 - Oct 5 00:00-24:00
         Oct 20 - Oct 26 00:00-24:00
         Nov 17 - Nov 23 00:00-24:00
         Dec 1 - Dec 7 00:00-24:00
         Dec 15 - Dec 21 00:00-24:00
}

define timeperiod{
         timeperiod_name user2_oncall
         Oct 6 - Oct 12 00:00-24:00
         Nov 3 - Nov 9  00:00-24:00
         Nov 24 - Nov 30 00:00-24:00
         Dec 22 - Dec 23 00:00-24:00
}

define timeperiod{
         timeperiod_name user3_oncall
         Oct 13 - Oct 19 00:00-24:00
         Oct 27 - Nov 2  00:00-24:00
         Nov 10 - Nov 16 00:00-24:00
         Dec 8 - Dec 14  00:00-24:00
}

Would / Does escalations trump the initial contacts?

# First escalations
define serviceescalation{
         hostgroup_name          Servers
         service_description     *
         first_notification      2
         last_notification       3
         notification_interval   30
         contact_groups          admins
}

# Second escalations
define serviceescalation{
         hostgroup_name          Servers
         service_description     *
         first_notification      3
         last_notification       8
         notification_interval   60
         contact_groups          admins,managers
}

So I know this isn't quite right, as our admins are part of the admin
group, but also trying to restrict when they get contacted. So I'm not
really sure how to proceed with this.

Thanks for any advice.

Charlie