latency problem

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Sep 25 14:59:03 CEST 2008

Hendrik Bäcker wrote:

> Olivier JAN schrieb:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I get some latency problems i can't explain. Here's the story.
>>
>> Nagios 3.0.3 on Ubuntu 8.0.4. Hardware is an intel quad core with
>> 10 Go Ram and fast disks. I get 24524 services on 1654 hosts to
>> check. Services are mostly active-passive with a check intervall of
>> 6 hours. check_intervall for hosts is 0 so Nagios make them only on
>> demand. No broker module activated. ocsp and ochp are activated
>> because this server is part of a distributed system. Nagios debug
>> is activated. Some configuration options i have.
> OS[C/H]P in such a big environment might be a bottle neck. The givven
> commands are executed after every single atomic check. It might be an
> alternative to build an eventbroker that can do the same job a little
> bit faster.
> There was a first step for that on www.op5.org - but actual I can't
> find it. Please have a look at the nagios-devel archive for a post
> from Andreas Ericsson past the last 3 or 4 weeks.

You're looking for http://www.op5.org/nagios/merlin.git, which is
far from ready for production.

In the mean-time, try using the pnsca module. Please note that the
module is extremely careless with error checking. It was written as
an example only, but it will most likely reduce your check latency
to near-zero when it works properly.

You'll find the git repository for the pnsca module at
git://www.op5.org/nagios/pnsca.git. There are no snapshots for now,
but at http://www.op5.org/git you'll find instructions for how to
download the latest code using git.

Once the module is built (just type 'make'), you need to tell
Nagios about it. Do so by adding this to your nagios.cfg file:

   event_broker_module=/path/to/pnsca.so <send_nsca_command>

Where <send_nsca_command> is what you'd run to get send_nsca
to accept check-results as input on stdin and send them to
your master server. You also need to disable your OSCP and
OHCP commands, as pnsca will take care of sending the results
instead, thereby reducing the workload of the Nagios server
and (hopefully) eliminating your latency issues.

Let me know if you run into problems and I'll try to help you as
best I can.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se