Monitoring 64-bit and 32-bit servers - plugin path problem

Marcel webknowledge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 02:16:26 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 10:50 PM, Gavin Carr <gavin at openfusion.com.au>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 04:42:45PM -0300, Marcel wrote:
> > I think you missed the point Andreas tried to make.
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 5:48 AM, Kenneth Holter <kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> > > Actually, I've done this already. The macro, say, X defines the path to
> be
> > > "/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins". But as far as I can see this does not
> solve my
> > > problem, as the path on a 32-bit systems is different than the path on
> > > 64-bit system.
> > >

> > Let's say you have $USER1$ = /path/to/lib32/nagios/plugins, and
> > $USER2$=/path/to/lib64/nagios/plugins, thus, you should define x86_32
> > commands and x86_64 commands as usual, but using $USER1$ and $USER2$
> where
> > pertinent, and then, on every x64 system, you should use the _64
> commands.
>
> Although that's a bit of an ugly solution, as you're having to define every
> command twice. DRY etc.
>
> We've found it easier to just leave the plugin invocations unqualified and
> add
> the relevant nagios plugins directory to the $PATH for the remote nagios
> user.
> Works nicely here.

Well, I was just pointing out the previous thoughts line of reason. At my
environment, I do not care if the system is 64 or 32 bits anyway. I've
pre-compiled plugins that is deployed at the very same location within
/path/to/nagios/libexec, so if it's a 64bit arch, then we deploy that kind
of plugins and the same goes to 32bits archs.

So, no resource.cfg macro definitions needed to address this kind of
situation.

Cheers,