Monitoring many cisco switches for interface errors

Giovanni Torres torresgi at mail.nih.gov
Thu Sep 18 14:35:01 CEST 2008

I would like to monitor interface errors on the cisco switches that I
manage.  Most of them are 48-port switches, so I dont want to clutter
the nagios service detail page with hundreds of service checks for each
port.

Are any of you doing the same thing and if so, how are you handling it?
  What would be nice is to have one check per switch that will check all
ports and only report a warning if one or more ports are experiencing
errors and report only those ports in the service problems page.

I may just end up having to script something, but I'm thinking I will
need a database to keep track of the counters and compare the current
values with previous ones in order to detect any increments.

Any suggestions or ideas welcomed.

Thanks,
Giovanni