Controlling critical states with extended interface information

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Tue Sep 16 23:12:17 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm using the check_snmp_netint.pl plugin 2.21b on Nagios 3 to check
for interface errors, as per assorted suggestions I got from this
list.  (Thank you all!)  It's returning status and extended PNP info
nicely.

Right now, I'm using as so:

$USER1$/check_snmp_netint.pl -l $USER3$ -x $USER7$ -X $USER8$ -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 0,0,0,0,0,0 -c 0,0,0,0,0,0 -n $ARG1$ -f -e -k -q -mm -F /usr/local/nagios/var/cache/$HOSTADDRESS$

$ARG1$ is something like ^F.+0/1\$ , for FastEthernet 0/1.

I have established a service for each port on my test switch, and am
setting up a hostgroup for each switch model.  This way I can generate
PNP traffic graphs for each interface.  So far, so good.

This is for closet switches, where clients might turn their PCs off
for the night.  I don't want an alarm for these actions, but I want to
be proactive when I start seeing errors.  I want to return CRITICAL or
WARN as follows:

-- If the port is down, return OK.
-- If the port is up and shows no errors, return OK.
-- If the port is up, but I am receiving errors or discards, return WARN
   or CRIT as per the threshold I set.

It seems I should be able to do this with various combinations of -w
and -c levels (say, setting the -c to 0,0,100,100,100,100, but that
doesn't seem to work.  Anyone using this plugin similarly?

Thanks,
==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org, mwlucas at FreeBSD.org
"My pessimism extends to the point of even suspecting the sincerity of