Service alerts after host down?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Sep 16 01:42:34 CEST 2008

On Sep 15, 2008, at 6:30 PM, Jay Chandler wrote:

> Howdy.
>
> I fear I have something misconfigured.  A host in our environment will
> go down, and I'll get a notification that the host is down.  However,
> I'll still keep getting Service alerts after the host notification,
> which I don't get; logically, if a host is hard down, NONE of its
> services should return as up.

Yup. nagios knows this. Service alert suppression is automagic. The
first section of the following page explains --

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/networkreachability.html

> Assuming I'm not mistaken in this belief, what portion of my config
> files shall I submit for review?

You just need to make sure that your host's check_command returns DOWN
when it's down. If that is currently the case, and you see that
reflected in the web interface, be sure that you don't have multiple
nagios daemons running at the same time.

--
Marc