NRPE 2.12 compile failure

Andy Shellam andy-lists at networkmail.eu
Mon Sep 15 18:57:44 CEST 2008

Hi,

I've just had a new Nagios server delivered; it's running Debian 4. I've
installed the latest Apache, PHP, OpenSSL packages and Nagios 3.0.3 and
NRPE 2.12.
However it looks like NRPE isn't setting the include flags correctly for
the compiler.

OpenSSL is installed in /usr/local/openssl, and Nagios in /usr/local/nagios.

My configure line is:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nagios --with-ssl=/usr/local/openssl
--with-ssl-inc=/usr/local/openssl/include
--with-ssl-lib=/usr/local/openssl/lib --with-nrpe-user=nagios
--with-nrpe-group=localservice

Configure completes successfully and generates the OpenSSL parameters
successfully:

*** Generating DH Parameters for SSL/TLS ***
Generating DH parameters, 512 bit long safe prime, generator 2
This is going to take a long time
.... etc ....

"make all" then fails with a LOT of the following errors:

/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl/pem.h:69:25: error: openssl/evp.h: No
such file or directory
/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl/pem.h:70:26: error: openssl/x509.h:
No such file or directory
/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl/pem.h:71:26: error: openssl/pem2.h:
No such file or directory
In file included from ../include/config.h:241,
from ../include/common.h:24,
from nrpe.c:21:
/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl/pem.h:142: error: expected
specifier-qualifier-list before ‘EVP_ENCODE_CTX’

Evidently the include path is not been set to
"/usr/local/openssl/include" as requested in the configure script. If I
try and set "with-ssl-inc" and "with-ssl-lib" to anything else (or omit
them), it fails saying the SSL libraries were not found.

If I look inside the Makefile, it looks like the configure script has
added an additional "openssl" to the include path. OpenSSL tries to find
"openssl/*.h" so it's actually trying to find
"/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl/openssl/*.h" whcih is incorrect.

root /var/software/nrpe-2.12 # cat Makefile|grep include
SRC_INCLUDE=./include/
CFLAGS=-g -O2 -I/usr/local/openssl/include/openssl -DHAVE_CONFIG_H