which network interface check plugin to use?

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Fri Sep 12 22:47:10 CEST 2008

Hi,

Today, I use MRTG to track switch and router traffic, interface
errors, and so on.  We use Nagios separately to generate alarms.  I
think we could replace our MRTG install with Nagios and PNP.  I'm
certain someone here has done this.

I went looking for interface-stat-checking plugins, and found many.
Quite a few, actually.  Dozens.  In different versions.  Many with
similar names, some updated and re-relased by people other than the
author with slightly different functionality than all the other
updated versions of the same plugin released by other people.  Rather
than spend days trying to test all of these, I thought I'd just beg
for guidance here.  I'm looking for something that:

a) can be configured to monitor based on port
name, hopefully using a regex.  (I have many switches to monitor, and
while some of them have FastEther port 0/1 and another has GigE 0/1, I
can get away with calling it port 0/1.)

b) tracks both traffic and interface errors

c) looks decent in PNP

d) snmp v3

Any recommendations, folks?

Thanks,
==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org, mwlucas at FreeBSD.org
"My pessimism extends to the point of even suspecting the sincerity of