service dependency on host?

Charlie Reddington charlie.reddington at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 21:11:07 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have nagios up and working but I want to tweak it some so I'm not
getting buried under sms messages.

My setup works like so.

I have a file called Loc-Servers.cfg

In this file it has the host definitions that look like this, but just
a ton of them....

# serv01
define host{
         use                     linux-server
         host_name       serv01.example.com
         alias                   serv01
         address             192.168.1.101
         }

# serv01
define host{
         use                     linux-server
         host_name       serv02.example.com
         alias                   serv02
         address             192.168.1.102
         }

And then after the hosts I have the services setup generally like this:

define service{
         use                         			 generic-service
         host_name                      	 serv01.example.com,
serv02.example.com
         service_description             Ping
         check_command                  check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
         }

My real question comes down to dependencies. As much as I love getting
400 messages if something 'upstream' goes down like a switch, I
generally want to try to get alerts only for hosts down and alerts for
the first point of failure.

So assuming one of my networks look like this:

  Router --> Switch -> serv01, serv02, serv03

Lets say the switch goes down. Which makes the servers all
unreachable, which fails out all other servers. I don't want to have
any notifications really for anything below the switch.

I've seen the docs about having services dependent on services, and
hosts dependent on hosts.  But how about services, dependent on hosts.
Do I just use hosts instead of services in the config?

Thanks for you time and for your help,

Charlie