montitoring a system only via email-transport of status-informations

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace lists at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Thu Sep 11 13:35:32 CEST 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 13:05:32 +0200
Ralf Prengel <ralf.prengel at comline.de> wrote:

> we are monitoring several system using ssh, snmp, nrpe and a lot of
> plugings.
> Now we have to check a server without any direct access. The only way
> to get informatiosn is using email.
> Has anyone docs or links how to transfer statusinformations via email
> from the server to the nagios-server?

I'd look at setting up a mailbox specifically for this.  Get your MTA
to send the emails to that address to a pipe which redirects them to a
script.

In the script, work out from the message headers which service this
relates to.  Process the message and provide an output accordingly to a
file.  Process this file as either an NSCA or NRPE plugin and see if
you get the correct results!

Is there any reason why you can't use ssh-wrapped nrpe commands?

M.
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk