nagios check_sip plugin

Robert McNaught asteriskator at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 00:43:41 CEST 2008

Hi, I am using Nagios 3 on CentOS 5.

I am not understanding how to set up a service check for SIP (Session
Initiation Protocol).

I can run the check_sip perl script from the command line and get a
valid response, but cannot get it to work under nagios.

[root at lab01 libexec]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_sip -u
sip:username at server.hostname.com -f sip:username at server.hostname.com
-H server.hostname.com
SIP/2.0 200 OK, 0.017372 seconds response
time|rtt=0.017372s;0.5s;1s;0:10; code=200

I have added in a command definition in commands.cfg:

#'check_sip' command definition added by RJM
define command{
       command_name    check_sip
       command_line    check_sip -u sip:username at server.hostname.com
-f sip:username at server.hostname.com -H server.hostname.com

}

I have a host and service definition also of:

define host{
       use             generic-switch          ; Inherit default
values from a template
       host_name       server.hostname.com            ; The name
we're giving to this switch
       alias           server ; A longer name associated with the wtch
       address         XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX            ; IP address of the switch
       hostgroups      core               ; Host groups this switch
is associated with
       }

define service{
       use                             core-template
       host_name                       server.hostname.com
       service_description             SIP test
       check_command                   check_sip
#        contact_groups                  voip-admins
       max_check_attempts              4
       normal_check_interval           5
       retry_check_interval            1
       notification_interval           240
       check_period                    24x7
       notification_period             24x7
       notification_options            c,r
}

I run the configuration check utility and it returns no errors, I
restart nagios, and the host always appears down.

I see some of the other command definitions have something like

command_line    $USER1$/check_http -I $HOSTADDRESS$ $ARG1$

but I have no idea what the variables are in this line and what
relevance they have....

Can someone explain if I need to have these variables and what they
actually mean?  I believed that if I can run it from the command line,
then I should just be able to use the same command in the command
definition, or does it not work like that?

Thanks in advance

Robert