Nagios and Logrotate

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Sep 8 17:39:44 CEST 2008

On Sep 8, 2008, at 9:59 AM, K-L Reinhard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm really unexpierenced with nagios but I have the following task.
> We have to fire on a script, after the internal logrotating of
> nagios is done. I know, it would be a lot simpler if we use lograte,
> but we don't -.-.

... and shouldn't. Using logrotate will break nagios reporting
capabilities.

> Is there a way to solve this matter with an event handler or is it
> possible to define a postscript? Maybe there's a way to call the
> logrotate function manually ?

Yes to the first, but not trivially and not as an event handler, no to
the second and no to the third (can't be done and it would break
nagios reporting capabilities). It's an unusual request so there
aren't any easy-to-use capabilities... Nagios doesn't provide an event
handler type of action for log rotation but _does_ notify event broker
modules of the log rotation event (EVENT_LOG_ROTATION, I believe). You
could write an event broker module that listens for that event and
takes appropriate action. Alternately, nagios does log the rotation
event to nagios.log as 'LOG ROTATION:'. You could maintain a
continuous tail of the file looking for a sudden decrease in the log
file size, inode change and/or that entry and take appropriate action.

--
Marc