Nagios ignores check_nrpe return code

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Sep 8 14:23:55 CEST 2008

Rene Rembarz wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a problem with my Nagios (v3.0.3) ignoring the return code of check_nrpe (v2.10). An example check_nrpe query looks like this:
>
> # /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H 10.0.1.10 -c check_users ; echo "Return code: $?"

If that's what your check_nrpe requests look like, I'm not surprised
you're having problems.

> USERS WARNING - 1 users currently logged in |users=1;1;2;0 Return code: 1
>
> Based on the return code, Nagios should (if I am niot mistaken) display the service as status "WARNING". But the Service State Information page in Nagios reads:

Nagios doesn't see the return code of check_nrpe in this case. It sees
the return code of 'echo'. AFAIK, 'echo' always returns 0.

> Current Status: OK  (green color)
> Status Information:	USERS WARNING - 1 users currently logged in
>
> This happens with all service I monitor via nrpe, the check itself goes ok, the status information is displyed correctly, but Nagios does not show the right status based on the return code. For local services on the nagios machine (e.g., a local check_users) this works just fine, so really seems to be something between nagios and check_nrpe.

Remove the '; echo $?' after the check_nrpe check thing and it
will start working again.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se