Using Nagios to check if webpage is really shown

Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Thu Sep 4 04:28:49 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 11:20:38 +0100, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
<lists at truthisfreedom.org.uk> wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 12:14:09 +0200
>Bastiaan <bastiaan.wissingh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> At the moment I have Nagios 2.9 up and running, and it does different
>> kind of checks. But now I would not only like to check if, for
>> example port 80 is open on my webserver, but also if the webpage on
>> the same webserver is shown that customers can see it.
>> I have been searching on the internet for a plugin that can help me
>> do this, but I have not found something useful yet.
>
>check_http can send and receive HTTP requests as well as just
>monitoring port 80.

I've found this good for doing simple page tests on complex sites
(does the login page come up).

>If you really want to test your website, then WebInject will allow you
>to write complete tests to simulate users browsing your site.

I use this for the complex stuff.  ie, can I login, navigate through a
few pages, run a report, and see expected results.  I've been using
WebInject for a while now, it works very well.
--
Jon Angliss