Nagvis alternatives

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Thu Sep 4 01:45:30 CEST 2008

On Sep 3, 2008, at 1:25 AM, Alex Dehaini wrote:

> Have you used it in production environment before. What are the
> disadvantages and advantages over nagvis?

Yeah, we were running nexsm on our network of about 300 devices - not
huge, but not tiny. The main advantage that I found was ease of
configuration. With nexsm, it starts with the map fully populated with
all network devices and links, and you can simply drag the devices
around to where you want them. With nagvis, it starts off with an
empty map, and you have to manually place every device AND every link.
If you are just trying to populate a server room or something, this is
fine, and probably even easer than the nexsm approach (where you would
have to tell it to hide all the unwanted hosts), but when you are
trying to map 300 or so devices, plus links, it quickly becomes
prohibitively time consuming. And while you can reposition devices in
nagvis by dragging (although I have had no end of trouble getting that
to work), they aren't attached to their links, so you have to manually
reposition BOTH the device and any links to/from the device. This
isn't an issue with nexsm.

I also found the display in nexsm to be easier to use- you can easily
zoom in and out to see more or less of the map (if you can do this in
nagvis, I haven't discovered how), and the map can be as large as you
want- nagvis (from what I can tell) is limited to the size of the
background image you choose. Although I do prefer the icon sets with
nagvis over nexsm- nexsm uses the image you set in the nagios config.

Finally, I prefer nexsm over nagvis for performance issues, although
admittedly I suspect this is due to mysql, not nagvis itself. On the
system I am using, I have found that when nagios is dumping stuff to
the database, mysql uses pretty much all available processing power,
and nagios hangs waiting for it to complete. Nexsm just reads the
nagios logs directly, and while it is java, which uses a fair amount
of processor, it's not as bad as mysql, at least on my OS. Also, when
running nagvis, nagios has a tendency to stop updating completely
every day or two, and can't be restarted until I kill the ndo2db
daemon. I never had issues like that with nexsm- probably because it
was just passively reading the log files, rather than trying to use an
active event broker in nagios. Nexsm also just "feels" simpler to me-
nagvis consists of an event broker module, a ndo2db daemon, the mysql
server (although that might already be running somewhere for something
else) and the web front end. nexsm is "just" a single java applet.

Keep in mind though that my opinions may be at least partially based
on incomplete or incorrect knowledge of nagvis. While I used nexsm
extensively until we moved to nagios 3, I have never actually managed
to get nagvis running acceptably. The three separate occasions I tried
it have all been non-starters. The last time I got it running for a
couple of days, but between the above mentioned performance issues,
and never really being able to get the maps configured the way I
wanted, we quickly took it offline. Also it is entirely possible that
my desired usage (as a full-network overview) is better suited for
nexsm than nagvis, and a different usage might work better with
nagvis. But so far, for us, nagvis has proven to not be sutable.

Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service Inc.
5245 Airport Industrial Rd