collectd or cacti

Olivier JAN ojan at gfi.fr
Wed Sep 3 16:03:55 CEST 2008

Hi,

I think those are not quite the same. Collectd is rahter a collection
of metrics tool and cacti intends to be a complete solution for rrdtool.

Collectd is based on the push (passive) model where each node push its
data to at least one central server. Collectd doesn't have any decent
frontend. You must use drraw or cacti to graph the datas collected.
Also rrd databases are just a option to store the data among others
(e.g csv). You can have collects frequencies you can't achieve with an
active model (every 10 seconds or less if you want)

Cacti is based on a polling model (active pull). It collects, store
and graph the datas.

Conclusion : you can use both rather than one or one.

Olivier
http://nagios-fr.org