Default Nagios process self-check

Ryan Gravlin rgravlin at elizacorp.com
Tue Sep 2 15:37:47 CEST 2008

Hello all,

Nagios Version: 3.0.3
Host: Intel Xeon 1.6GHz / 2GB RAM
# of Hosts Monitored: 322
# of Services Monitored: 35

The localhost.cfg comes with a default process check with the values 250+ for warnings and 400+ for critical.  Usually about twice an hour from checking the event log I get this message:

[09-02-2008 07:02:48] SERVICE ALERT: NAGIOS;Total Processes;WARNING;SOFT;1;PROCS WARNING: 370 processes with STATE = RSZDT

It seems to me the machine itself is powerful enough to execute this many checks without even breaking a sweat.  Were these defaults configured in the thinking that there should never be that many processes?

I'm by no means a Linux or Nagios expert and I was hoping someone could explain more of the thinking behind this check than what I see.  I can obviously just bump the numbers up but I want to make sure that I'm not ignoring something obvious that may have unwanted results after the fact.  Should I use these numbers I see here as the basis for my new thresholds?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ryan Gravlin

Eliza Corporation
IT Department