nrpe script

jeremiah jeremiah.jester at panasonic.aero
Fri Oct 31 23:58:45 CET 2008

Mathieu,

Thanks for your ongoing help.

I check the log file and this is all i'm seeing pertaining to this
command on the server.

Oct 31 22:33:23 serv1 nagios2: SERVICE ALERT: serv2;LOADSCRIPT CHECK
ERRORS;WARNING;HARD;3;NRPE: Unable to read output
Oct 31 22:33:23 serv1 nagios2: SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
root;serv2;LOADSCRIPT CHECK ERRORS;WARNING;notify-by-email;NRPE: Unable
to read output

Also, the command runs successfully when ran on the cmd line from my
home directory or the plugins location.

Changed debug=1 on the client and restarted in nrpe, reran the command
and don't see anything related to nagios in /var/log/messages?

Thanks,
JJ

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 15:41 -0700, Mathieu Gagné wrote:
> Hi,
>
> jeremiah wrote:
> > i check the manual and this is what it says about this particular
> error:
> >
> > On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 15:10 -0700, jeremiah wrote:
> >> I just chown'd the file for nagios.
> >>
> >> $ sudo chown nagios /home/jesterj/report_loadscript_error_log.py
> >>
> >> $ ls -la *.py
> >> -rwxr-xr-x 1 nagios jesterj 3156 2008-10-31 21:55
> >> report_loadscript_error_log.py
> >>
> >> I'm now getting a different error after i fixed the path issue.
> >>
> >> $ /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H 10.10.10.45 -c
> >> loadscript_check_error_log
> >> NRPE: Unable to read output
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
>
> "/home/jesterj/" is probably chowned to 700 anyway so the NRPE daemon
> won't be able to access and execute it anyway.
>
> Try running it manually with sudo to see the actual result:
> sudo -u nagios /usr/local/bin/python
> /home/jesterj/report_loadscript_error_log.py
>
> Also, you should copy your script in a more appropriate location such
> as
> /usr/local/bin or even /usr/lib/nagios/plugins if you have installed
> Nagios on a Debian or Ubuntu server.
>
> You can also try to start NRPE with "debug=1":
>
> "How to go about debugging other problems...
>
> When debugging problems it may be useful to edit the NRPE
> configuration
> file and change the debug=0 entry to debug=1. Once you do that,
> restart
> the NRPE daemon if it is running as a standalone daemon. After you try
> using the check_nrpe plugin again, you should be able to see some
> debugging information in the log files of the remote host. Check your
> logs carefully – they should be able to help provide clues as to where
> the problem lies..."
>
> Ref.: http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nrpe/NRPE.pdf
>

> --
> Mathieu

Disclaimer: The information contained in this transmission, including any
attachments, may contain confidential information of Panasonic Avionics
Corporation.  This transmission is intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) listed above.  Unauthorized review, dissemination or other use
of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error or have reason to believe
you are not authorized to receive it, please notify the sender by return
email and promptly delete the transmission.