checkhostalive vs ping service

L B bertignac at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 15:57:54 CET 2008

Thanks Mark for your answers

>> What is the difference between checking a host is alive with a check
>> in the host template (check_command check-host-alive), and creating a
>> ping service applied to the host ?
>
> If the host check returns a non-OK state, notifications for services
> on that host are suppressed. If the host is specified as a parent to
> another host that is also unavailable, the second host is put in an
> UNREACHABLE state as opposed to a DOWN state.

Hmm ok...

>> I've read somewhere (I also read that it's not necessary anymore with
>> nagios 3) . Now I'm running Nagios 3, so I'm wondering if it would
>> make sense to disable the ping service checks and do it as a host
>> check. Why should I do /don't do this ?
>
> If you like the suppression of notifications for services on down
> hosts or would like to use the parenting/reachability logic, host
> checks would be necessary.

I don't get notification of services unavailability even with hot
check disabled, because Nagios does a host check directly after it
find a service unavailable.

> I personally haven't decided if I will enable host checks. For the
> vast majority of our devices, we just ping them so it would be a
> redundant check and an additional object to Acknowledge when there's a
> problem.

Not additional if you replace the ping check by the hostcheck

Is the impact of enabling hostchecks vs ping service only a status of
UNREACHABLE instead of DOWN for child hosts ?

--
L.B.