host with multiple addresses and check_nrpe

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Oct 30 14:10:16 CET 2008

On Oct 30, 2008, at 5:43 AM, Daniel López wrote:

> define host{
>        use                     server-sistemes
>        host_name               Cluster-correu
>        alias                   Sun Cluster Correu
>        address                 host1,host2,host3
>        }

> Does not check_nrpe handle correctly the list of addresses?

No, it does not. Most of the standard nagios plugins wouldn't. They
expect a single host address.

> What we want to achieve is executing some checks through nrpe in
> either of
> hosts 1,2 or 3 (whatever that is alive) but not on the three because
> the
> result will be the same.
>
> How could i handle this?

Write a wrapper plugin that accepts multiple host addresses,
determines the 'aliveness' of host 1, 2 and 3, runs check_nrpe against
the one you're interested in and returns the results, including exit
code to nagios?

--
Marc