Advanced authentication

Phillips, Dustin B (DBphillips) dustin.phillips at chartercom.com
Wed Oct 29 16:37:16 CET 2008

Thanks for the replies.

Ultimately what we would like to do is authenticate the user via another
website that we already use as a "single sign-on" portal for other web
applications.  Once they're logged in there, we would pass their username
over to Nagios via URL querystring or hidden form value, etc (not going for
maximum security).  On the Nagios server we would use PHP to populate the
REMOTE_USER Apache ENV variable with the passed username so that Nagios can
compare that to the contacts and provide them with their applicable views.

Currently we are able to pass the username value to the Nagios server and we
appear to be populating the Apache ENV variable successfully via PHP using
"apache_setenv('REMOTE_USER', '[username]');" however when we then redirect
to the Nagios homepage, Nagios does not appear to be picking up the
username.  It states that we're logged in as "?" and obviously nothing is
accessible.

Questions:

Is it necessary to modify the Nagios/cgi config in any way to achieve what
we're doing?
Is is necessary to modify the Apache config?
Is is necessary to set any other ENV variables besides REMOTE_USER?

Thanks for any assistance/guidance you can provide!

Dustin

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

The contents of this e-mail message and
any attachments are intended solely for the
addressee(s) and may contain confidential
and/or legally privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient of this message
or if this message has been addressed to you
in error, please immediately alert the sender
 by reply e-mail and then delete this message
and any attachments. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, copying,
or storage of this message or any attachment
is strictly prohibited.