Nagios on Solaris 10

Paul, Chris Y cp1449 at att.com
Fri Oct 24 19:26:26 CEST 2008

Uggh... I just went through that. It seems to be more popular for people
to want to run it on Solaris but this stuff was designed on GCC
(linux/BSD) platforms and it was not easy for me... I used GCC to
compile, but you can use Sun Studio to I hear. I still have problems
getting the trending graphs (GD-dependent stuff) compiled. Once I am
finished with my homework  on this problem, I'll post a hopefully clear
description of the problem and we'll see if the community can solve.
This has been the trickiest part for me....

If you want check_ldap, I think you will need openldap libraries and not
the sun ldap libraries.

With regard to SSL, I left that out because I had problems compiling
with openssl and the Sun SSL libraries. I think my problems centered
around not having root and having to put libraries in the vtier...

All in all, it took me about 20 times as long as it would have on a GCC
system to work through various funky compile options and such. I think
I'd prefer to run it on BSD, though Solaris isn't a bad platform.... It
just doesn't seem like there hasn't been much developing of nagios yet
in the Solaris world.

Good luck....

CP