How do I check if a website is up?

Joshua Wells josh.wells at lionbank.com
Thu Oct 23 14:55:12 CEST 2008

Yes that was my thought. Plus it gives me the added benefit of not
having to change the host definition if the IP address of the domain
changes. If I am checking a website to be sure it is up and it becomes
available only by IP address because of a DNS issue I would want to be
made aware of that. That wouldn't happen if I defined the host by IP
address instead of URL.