get more debugging from nrpe?

Paul, Chris Y cp1449 at att.com
Thu Oct 23 08:01:56 CEST 2008

Hello nagios users.

I have an nrpe daemon working when I check remotely running check_nrpe
manually, but as run from the nagios daemon, it is not returning
anything and the service is stuck on "PENDING".

How do I get more debugging info from nrpe? I am running it with -d but
only see startup and shutdown. I'm guessing because syslogd isn't
configured to write info or debug anywhere.... I don't have root on this
particular box so I have to go through someone else now I guess to get
this syslog.conf change.. (right?)

I can successfully run the configured checks remotely against the nrpe
that is running like this:

$ ./check_nrpe  -H <host> -p 5555 -c  check_load

OK - load average: 0.55, 0.56, 0.58|load1=0.555;15.000;30.000;0;
load5=0.562;10.000;25.000;0; load15=0.578;5.000;20.000;0;

Where check_load is defined on the remote system in nrpe.cfg as :

command[check_load]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load -w 15,10,5 -c
30,25,20

But as configured in the nagios system's commands.cfg, it doesn't seem
to run. The service just shows up as "PENDING".

# 'check_nrpe' command definition

define command{

        command_name    check_nrpe

        command_line    $USER1$/libexec/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p
5555 -c $ARG1$

        }

And the service definition:

# Service definition

define service{

        use                             generic-service         ; Name
of service template to use

        hostgroup_name                  servers

        service_description             LOADAVE

        is_volatile                     0

        check_period                    24x7

        max_check_attempts              3

        normal_check_interval           15

        retry_check_interval            5

        contact_groups                  admins

        notification_interval           60

        notification_period             24x7

        notification_options            w,u,c,r,f,s

        check_command                   check_nrpe!check_load

        }

I need more info to solve this, either debugging or packets I guess...
Any helpful ideas appreciated.

CP

--

Chris Paul