How do I check if a website is up?

Andy Shellam andy-lists at networkmail.eu
Tue Oct 21 20:15:43 CEST 2008

Hi Josh,

You can, I believe, define a host using it's DNS name, however I and I'm
sure the rest of the community would discourage that for the simple
reason that if the DNS doesn't resolve, that host will be deemed down.

However to check a website you can still add the host via it's IP
address and add a check_http service check to that host, and instruct
check_http to check the host header of the website (e.g.
www.example.com, using the -H option).

Regards,

Andy