Host-based service check period

Francis Dube nagios at optiksecurite.com
Wed Oct 15 17:20:09 CEST 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm using Nagios to monitor many hosts with services running at
different time. Each host is connected to a Plasma TV and display
publicity on it, but the all are installed in different public area with
different working hours.

Ex :
Host #1 is in a restaurant, so the services are running from 6:00 to 21:00.
Host #2 is in a bar, so the services are running from 12:00 to 3:00.
Host #3 is in a mall, so the services are running from 9:00 to 17:00 on
week days.

To save power, we turn off the display during the non-working hours, but
we need the Nagios check to stop at the same time. The check_period
instruction in the host definition only affect the check-host-alive
command and not the services check. I've read all i've found about the
timeperiod and such, but i cant find a way to do host-based service
check period. I would like to create a timeperiod for each host and that
all the check for this host (service and host-alive) stop/start
according to that timeperiod. Anybody knows a way to do this ?

Thanks for your time !

Francis Dube
R&D - Optik Securite
www.optiksecurite.com