No parallel checks with scripts under?

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Wed Oct 15 04:33:40 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have read through the p1.pl code again tonight and looked at
perlxsi.c and read all of the docs on ePN I can find that come with
Nagios, and I see nothing about ePN doing multiplexing or anything of
that sort that would allow it to execute ePN checks in parallel the
way forked checks can be run.

Is this indeed the case? :)

Asking because I am setting up a Nagios instance right now that is
primarily fault checking (and trending on) SNMP-based services, so at
this point I have all my service checks coded as Net::SNMP based perl
scripts under ePN ... Nagios is barely executing 95% of the 135 checks
that are running right now within 5 minutes and I and my coworker will
need to run maaaany more than that :p.

This is after spending a few hours tuning nagios.cfg .. out of the box
without 'tweaks' I was only getting about 70% of the 135 run in 5
minutes.

So I am thinking of using perlcc on some of the checks, only running
heavier-weight SNMP checks under ePN (like scanning the TCP-MIB of an
agent) and then keeping the lighter-weight checks (RAM uitilization)
as normal perl scripts to let us get faster performance from parallel
runs knowing we will take a hit on context switches and I/O.

Has anyone else ran into this situation who is willing to share what they did?

Wondering if it would be possible to do the ePN differently so that it
either runs separate interpreters in 1 or more threads (I understand
the difficultly level shoots up with that) or somehow else enhance the
ePN architectuer to allow it to not just be efficient but allow for
parallel checks.

Multiplexing is another thought, that too introduces complexitities,
that I understand as well.

Thanks,
Max